This Marantz 2220b receiver may be the best sounding receiver in the seminal Marantz line. This particular one has been carefully restored. It operates as if it were new and looks like it as well. It is an absolute delight to listen to - warm, inviting, and non-fatiguing while still being detailed.
I’ve thoroughly serviced and tested this receiver and it is in great operational condition. I spent a good amount of time with the phono preamp section, auditioning different capacitors (within reason), and I think it sounds excellent. Here is a brief list of the work that was performed:
- Filter capacitors replaced with Nichicon Gold Tune caps.
- All electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, amplifier boards, preamp/tone control board, and the phono preamplifier board have been replaced with high quality Nichicon low-ESR type capacitors.
- All tantalum capacitors in the amplifier boards, preamp/tone control board, and the phono preamplifier have been replaced.
- Protection relay was replaced with new Omron relay.
- Failure prone transistors have been replaced with high quality modern devices.
- Out of spec resistors on the amplifier board were replaced.
- Bad diodes on the amp board and power supply were replaced.
- All controls and switches were cleaned and are free of noise.
- All bulbs have been replaced with long life LEDs.
- Vellum paper for dial display and tuning meters has been replaced.
- Power supply, bias, and DC offset were properly adjusted.
- Unit was thoroughly cleaned inside and out.
- AM/FM was aligned.